Monday 25 November 2013

Interview with Holly Kingston, author of A Cinderella Christmas

Delighted today to be joined by Holly Kingston, author of A Cinderella Christmas. It is such a good read, great fun, lots of laughs and very entertaining. Holly agreed to be interrogated, oops sorry, I mean interviewed by me about what inspired her to write this book and about her writing journey. So, let's grab a coffee and have a chat. Ladies and gents, let me introduce you to the lovely Holly Kingston. 




Have you ever been involved with amateur dramatics at all?

Yes! I was in a few pantomimes and plays when I was much younger.

I still get nostalgic whenever I watch any theatre production. I’m almost tempted to jump upon stage and join in! But I appreciate there’s a medium - to high risk - of me being manhandled by security. And they’d probably confiscate my Fruit Pastilles. 

I do miss it though. There’s an infectious buzz about being in the theatre, and I love being backstage, it’s like being part of a huge secret. Those feelings were a huge influence when writing A Cinderella Christmas.

 

If you could be any stage character who would you be and why?

If I could sing... and if I could roller skate...I’d quite like to be in Starlight Express. I love the bit when the cast whizz into the audience in those crazy costumes. It’d be fun! But clearly my inability to sing and skate is seriously restricting my musical theatre career. To be fair I would be a complete liability trying to move around on tiny wheels. Grace and balance are not on my list of positive attributes.

 

Who would your favourite leading man be?

If it were a romantic role then I think George Clooney would get the gig. If it were more of a gritty action man role, then I’d quite like Colin Farrell please. And if my main man was solving a ridiculously complex, impossible crime, then it would have to be BenedictCumberbatch. *sighs*

 

Where did you get the inspiration for this story? 

It all started with the cow suit. I was thinking of unusual seasonal jobs. And the back end of the panto cow popped into my head. Poor Lucy, from her very conception as a character she was already stuck in that suit. I do think she handles herself with remarkably dignity though! She does get put through the wringer a bit in the book!

 

What has been your writing journey? 

Even as a kid I enjoyed writing, but my first attempt at writing a novel was about ten years ago. It wasn’t a great attempt. I managed an entire chapter before giving up. I’ve kept that chapter hidden away in a filing cabinet. It makes for horrible reading. After that I put a lot of time into reading books on how to write. Probably too much time! Then about six years ago I started writing regularly. A novel, then a sitcom pilot, then a few short films, then a feature film, a couple of plays, then I reedited the book...a few times! It took me until last November to even consider approaching an agent. It’s quite an intimidating thing to do. And you have to write a synopsis. That bit’s almost harder than writing the flippin book!

 

What do you like to read? 

Humorous fiction is my favourite, but I will read most genres if they have well crafted characters and a good pace. Hmmm, looking at my book shelf now, I can see a predominance of, Marian Keyes, Nick HornbyDavid Nicholls, and Janet Evanovich.

 

Do you write full time or write alongside a day job? If so, what do you do? 

I have a freelance sales job which involves me travelling around to visit lovely clients, to have a nice natter, and sometimes a cup of coffee. If I’m given a biscuit too then I am over the moon. If someone gives me a piece of cake, it’s like Christmas dayApparently I shouldn’t rate my efficiency by the number of coffees and biscuits I’ve consumed, but to me that’s a sign of a good day!

Writing full time would be amazing though. Think of all the coffees I could have if I were home alone with my kettle?!?

 

If you could meet a well known author who would you pick and why? 

I would have loved to have met the late Roald Dahl. Just to say thank you. I grew up with the Twits, Witches, and Giant Peaches! He must have had the most fabulous mind.

 

What can we expect next from Holly Kingston? 

I might try and learn to sing and roller skate so that I can audition for Starlight Express. But on a more practical note I think I’ll stick to drinking coffee and typing. I’m quite proficient asitting down and I’m highly addicted to writing.

I’m currently half way through my next novel and I’m really enjoying the characters. Hopefully it’ll ready for human consumption very soon!


Thank you very much for all the lovely questions!



Here's the blurb about the book:


Lucy Tilley dreams of a career in show business. But this isn’t quite what she had in mind …

This year’s Cinderella pantomime is the hottest production in town. What’s more, Lucy is starring alongside Ryan Aspall: famous TV actor, sex symbol and potential love of her entire life. One teeny problem – Lucy is tripping the light fantastic as … the back end of the comedy cow. Surely nothing kills a flirty moment quite like wearing a massive set of udders?

At least she has the support of glamorous (if potentially flammable) Charmaine; a reality star diva of a Cinderella, who Lucy is completely fascinated by. But behind the fame and beauty, Charmaine is not all she seems.

With more drama off the stage than on it, and everyone wanting to be star of the show, will Lucy find the confidence to make it out of the cow suit and into the spotlight this Christmas?


You can follow Holly on Twitter@HollyKWriter.


You can buy this book via Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Cinderella-Christmas-Holly-Kingston-ebook/dp/B00GPCZX04




No comments: