Saturday 27 October 2012

Interview with Carol Arnall


I'm delighted to be joined by a lovely lady who is very local to me called Carol Arnall. Carol and I have chatted via social media and email for the last couple of years or so even though we probably only live about 5 miles from each other.

Carol’s writing completely fascinates me. I have read a few of her books now and have found them completely enchanting and fascinating. I thought it would be nice to chat with Carol today and ask her questions behind her writing.  If you would like to find out more about Carol’s work, do check out her website which is
www.carolarnall.com and she also blogs at http://cannockchasearea-carol.blogspot.co.ukYou can follow Carol on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Elvaennia
 
You can also find my reviews of two of Carol's books called The Other Place and Jen's Story by clicking on the name of the book. 


Thanks so much for joining me over at my blog Carol.  I just have a few questions for you today if you don't mind answering them for you?
 
I'd be delighted to Kim.  Fire away!
 

Where did your writing journey start?

When I left school at 16 I started to write to magazines. Sending to reader’s letters. Occasionally I wrote the newspapers as well.
 
What makes you want to write?

I’m compelled to write. I always have been. Even as a child I wrote stories. English Literature was my favourite subject at school.
 
Who inspires you?

Anyone who writes!
 
What advice would you give to someone who feels that they have a book inside that would not know where to start?

Have confidence, just do it, it doesn't matter where you start in your book, you can start at the end if that makes sense. If you mess up along the way, don't worry about it, no one will see it apart from you. Simply, go for it, you will never regret it.

What book are you reading right now?

I've just started Touched by the Light by Linn B Halton which you recommended on Stafford FM.   I like to listen in to youe show on a Thursday night and listen to the books you've read Kim, and find out what your book of the week has been.  This sounds like a great book and when you told your listeners that the book was free for Kindle, I downloaded it straight away. 
 
*** (If you didn't know, I am the resident book reviewer for www.staffordfm.com and their Book Club which is on air every Thursday night at 6pm.  You can listen in via the website or via the Tune Inn App on a smart phone.)
What types of books do you like to read and who are your favourite authors?

I love books with ghostly happenings in them, particularly if they are about past lives, even better if the main character discovers the love of her life from a past life.
Diana Gabalon is my favourite author. I reread her Jamie and Claire novel - time travel - time and again. I can't wait for the next one in the series. It can take her up to four years to write it!


Are your characters based on real people or are they completely fictional?

I should imagine like most authors I pick up the traits of different people we have met along the way, and transfer them into our characters. My characters are all ficticious, I would never write about anyone living. Never!

Where do you write and what is it about that place that inspires you to write?

In the dining room or my office cum sewing room. I have all my favourite pictures around me and my cds, happy memories help me along the writing path.

Do you have any spare time and if so what do you enjoy doing?

I love walking my dogs, embroidery and reading.

What is next for you?

Hopefully another book or two!
 
 
Once again Carol, thanks so much for joining me and answering these questions.  Perhaps your answers may inspire those who would love to write a book, to pick up the pen and get on with it.  Love and hugs Kim xxx   
 
 

 

No comments: