Saturday 21 May 2011

Review - Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe? by Hazel Osmond

What a wonderful book!  This was a book that I have to shamefully admit, had me wanting to ring in sick at work so I could stop at home and carry on reading it!  This is Hazel Osmond’s first novel and what a way to start your book career?   I cannot wait for her next book “The Genuine Article” to come out.  I’m SO looking forward to reading more of her work.    When Hazel asked me to review this book she said that she hoped I enjoyed it.  I can honestly say that this is one of my most favourite books I’ve ever had the opportunity to read. 

When it arrived at home, it was a book that I immediately warmed to and wanted to read.  I know this makes me sound like a complete freak, but the wording of the title was raised and sparkly, and the colours and pictures were really attractive.  The pages "flicked" well and it "felt" like a lovely book that I couldn't wait to get my hands on. 


Ellie Somerset is an advertising copywriter, reasonably content in her job and her relationship with her boyfriend Sam who works too hard and she hardly ever sees.  The agency is taken over by the handsome and moody Jack Wolfe who all the girls simper and moon over, while Ellie takes an immediate dislike to him as he seems to pick on her all the time, and she doesn’t really understand why.  As the relationship between her and Jack develops, she questions all her own judgements, thoughts and feelings.   Ellie is a great character, a truly lovely person who looks after her elderly aunt Edith who is an eccentric old dear who lives life to the full, and she is also a great friend and colleague to Lesley.  Jack is a strong, enigmatic, confident, mean and moody character who has a reputation for being a tough cookie.  Ellie finally learns things about Jack and his past that have made him the way he is and tries to work out how it is affecting their relationship.  I don’t want to go into too much detail as I don’t want to give any of the plot away.  You need to read this book!

This book had me feeling warm and fuzzy in some parts and quite hot and sweaty in some of the others!  It was a fabulously funny, emotionally charged and an extremely enjoyable read which made me laugh out loud millions of times and left me still thinking about it days later.  The characters and the plot were so strong and likeable that I'm left feeling as if I actually miss them in my life.  I know, I really need to get more don't I? 

For a great, feel good, colourful, funny read, you really should give this book a try. 


Hazel Osmond lives in Northumberland and is married with two teenage daughters.  She has been an advertising copywriter for 20 years.   This was her first book with her second one coming out later this year.  She has also written a number of short stories which have appeared in ‘The Sunday Express Magazine’, ‘The Weekly News’, ‘The  Writers’ Forum’, ‘Writing News’ and ‘Woman and Home’.  You can read more about Hazel and her work at http://www.hazelosmond.co.uk/.

4 comments:

Heidi Rice said...

Wow sounds like a book I definitely want to read.. Also kudos to you Kim for a great review, always good to read reviews that are enthusiastic and well-written but don't give too much of the plot away!

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thanks Heidi for your really kind comments. It's hard when doing a review as I don't want to describe the book too much so can only really give my opinion of whether I liked it or not and I really did love this one! Hope if you get it, you enjoy it as much as I did x

Clarey said...

Hi Kim

I have just read the book and I absolutely loved it! Read it in 3 days! Have even wrote my own post about it. Just read yours and it puts my writing skills to shame! But you really have done the book justice in your blog - Ms Osmond should pay you for this!

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, it really is a great book isn't it so it's easy to do it justice. I can't wait for Hazel's next book to come out.