Sunday 18 December 2011

Review - Dark Mind by Jennifer Chase

Always interesting when you’ve read a book, and the sequel is launched.  Will it be as good as the first?  How will the writer be able to keep your interest in the characters?  Well Jennifer Chase is the person who should be able to answer these questions because this book is another awesome novel from this superb crime writer.  I hope she’ll answer these questions for me when she has a minute.  I was lucky enough to interview Jennifer earlier this year. You can read the interview here but what an interesting lady? 

Emily and Rick have headed out on a holiday to a beautiful Hawaiin island called Kauai (always wanted to go to Hawaii!) but they just can’t leave the super sleuthing behind.  They are soon on the trail of a child kidnapper and then find themselves getting caught up in various other crimes on the island much to the distress and intrigue of local cop Sergeant Lani who each time he attends a crime scene bumps into Emily.  Will he find out who Emily really is and why she keeps turning up at places a tourist shouldn’t be? 

It was intense, it was thrilling, it was exciting and it was gripping.  In my last review of Jennifer Chase’s book Dead Game which can be found here I compared her to the amazing James Patterson and Emily Stone to Alex Cross.  I stand by my comparisons.  Patterson is a writing master and I’m sure that Jennifer Chase will have a million more ideas for Emily Stone up her sleeve to follow this third in the series.  I certainly hope so! 

I love Emily Stone.  She is one kiss-ass, tough cookie that you SO wouldn’t mess with!  The novel is action packed right from the start and continues throughout.   She stumbles across trouble without even looking for it and always manages to get herself out of it too!  Or does she?

Despite being beautiful, Hawaii does seem to be one of the most dangerous places in the world (next to Pontypandy and Emmerdale!) as also demonstrated by my favourite TV Series Hawaii Five 0.  Maybe one day I’ll get there but I’ll be sure to travel with my new best friend Emily Stone!

Jennifer Chase lives in California and holds a bachelor's degree in police forensics and a master's degree in criminology. She also holds certifications in serial crime and criminal profiling and is a member of the International Association of Forensic Criminologists so she definitely knows what she's talking about.  Compulsion is the first novel that stars Emily Stone and Dead Game the second.  I love that Jennifer has a section of her website that is dedicated to Emily.
 

No comments: