Sunday 17 April 2011

Here Come The Girls - Milly Johnson

Another fabulous book from the extremely talented Milly Johnson.  Milly writes her books in such a realistic and down to earth way, they entice you in right from the start and you just can’t put them down, shutting the outside world out completely. 

‘Here Come The Girls’ is about four ladies who have been friends since school; Ven, Roz, Olive and Frankie. They all have their own secrets and their own issues which they are dealing with, when Ven who really has had a crappy few years announces that she has won a competition and gives them tickets for an all expenses paid cruise to celebrate Ven’s 40th birthday.  With Roz who has relationship issues and Frankie who has secrets of her own, not speaking for the last few years and Olive living in an extremely unhappy and unfulfilling relationship, it was uncertain whether they would all go on the holiday, but unexpected events ensure that they all set off on the trip of a lifetime and they have the most fabulous time.   When the cruise comes to its closing stages, each and every one of them are left wondering what real life will be like when they return from the cruise and what the future holds for them. 

Milly has an amazing way of making the characters in her books turn into your best friends, with a little bit of my own friends in each of them.  I laughed out loud many many times while reading this book, with some hilarious moments that kept me grinning all day and still make me smile now when I think about them. 

I absolutely loved this book and while I couldn’t wait to get to the end to find out what happened, was also a little sad that this particular adventure was over.  Milly can’t write quick enough for me!  I discovered her first book ‘A Spring Affair’ which for me was quite a life changer and rushed online to buy all her others and enjoyed them all as much as the first. 

‘Here Come The Girls’ – her fifth novel - is pure delight, hysterical at times, full of every emotion possible and a real treat to read.  I’ve never wanted to go on a cruise before in my life, but it has certainly got me wishing I could take my best mates on a no expenses barred trip.  What a whale of a time we would have had too! 

Read more about Milly and her books at http://www.millyjohnson.co.uk/

3 comments:

Janice said...

This feels like my kinda book. It's now on my list to read this summer. Sounds like it just needs a bit of sunshine and a cocktail as company! Thanks for the review.

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thanks Janice, it really is an enjoyable read. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did x

Jules said...

This book is definitely going to be one I buy. I love Milly and this one sounds as good as she usually offers.

Jules